Tuesday, July 30, 2013

SHOULD THIS REPORTER HAVE BEEN FIRED FOR HER BLOG????


 

This is Shea Allen, a reporter in Huntsville , Alabama. She recently got fired because
of her  post on her blog, Confessions of a Red Headed Reporter.

First of all, Shea, if you're a reporter your first job is to leave your own prejudices alone
and tell a story based on the fact. That's a  little hard to do when your opinions are blasted
all over  a blog.

Personally I don't give a crap that you've gone bra-less on the air. Who cares. The fact
that your best stories come from people that have a crush on you is something else I
wouldn't be advertising. Not cool.  The fact that you complained that you were
sitting in a car doing nothing getting paid as low as a McDonalds manager would
was tacky and demeaning. The final insult  was that  you actually said and I quote
"I'm frightened of old people and  refuse to do stories on them or the places they reside."
Really?

As someone who has had the privilege of being a journalist for thirty eight years I have
been so grateful to have been a part of  people's lives. I have been there at the best of times
and the worst of times. I have seen ordinary people do the extraordinary and have seen
more love and compassion than a person could ever hope to see. I have talked to mothers
whose children were dying and death row inmates that were scheduled to be executed
the next day.I have also seen evil so terrifying that it made my skin crawl.

I have seen old people, yes,  Shea old people, with an unbelievable dignity and stories
that would make you weep . That's the pay- back for being a reporter. Obviously you're
missing out. Yes, one day, you too will be an old lady and perhaps you might even be
working at McDonalds. Frankly I would have fired your ass too.

But here's the thing...she's being interviewed by the national news media and will probably
end up on her feet with a six figure salary. Go figure!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment