Friday, March 15, 2013

Watch out for the "Heathers"!!!!




Do you remember the movie "Heathers" where a group of mean bitchy popular
girls created mayhem?. It was dark wicked entertainment. But I've notice that
the padded shouldered-big-haired Heather girls are now older and
incredibly disrespectful and yes, still bitchy.

In the tv business, thank God, I work mainly with men. The women in tv are for
the most part the kind of women who work with men and are pretty mellow. The
World of Men is pretty drama free. No one cries, has fits or is a tattle tale. No
one gossips about anyone else and if you're wrong , no one makes a big deal
about it. It is sheer heaven.

But those Heathers, unfortunately they still manage to creep into my life . The other day a
baseball hat , sweat pant wearing Heather that walks around my "hood" pointed
out to me that my rescue lab (who has disappearing issues) was sitting outside
my house and wouldn't come in. Duh, as if  I didn't know that. But she proceeded to tell
me that my lab scared people. I asked her if he had ever bothered her and she said no,
but she saw a child who was scared and she was going to tell the police. Really?
You know she was that girl no one liked that always had to tell the teacher.


Then in Vegas, for a friends birthday, we went to the spa. The Heather at the
desk told us we were late and we couldn't do this and we couldn't do that. Just to make
sure our fun outing was going to be ruined. My friend Terri bitched them out and told
them we were spending a lot of money and she didn't like her attitude. Seriously Heather,
we are so sorry you have a job you don't like, and I'm sure you're not making the hundred
thousand a year you think you deserve. But we were all waitresses and retail clerks in
college. Get over it.

My third Heather moment was a pr person at a local business that I contacted to do
a story for a syndication feed that goes out to stations all over the country and  is
viewed by millions of people. She wasn't really interested because they didn't have enough
stations in a certain area. "Oh yes," I said,"I can certainly understand why you
wouldn't want millions of people to view your experts." WTF....is she really that
stupid?

I don't want to say Heathers are just in their thirties. There are a lot of fantastic
women in that age group. And there are Heathers everywhere. But I do notice that  the
Heathers have some common characteristic....zero  ability to look outside the box...
the concept that the customer is always right, and mind-your-own-business.

I make tons of mistakes, we all do, but I  know the value of an apology and of being
grateful.  Do you have a Heather moment to share? Love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment