Thursday, April 18, 2013

YA YA JAMBALAYA!!!!!!!


Jambalaya. serves 5-6


Mardi Gras may be but an embarrassing memory.....but the food of
New Orleans is one of my standard favorites.

I still remember working on a documentary the year before Katrina with
 my good friend and colleague Mike Priest. We really worked hard and were
hoping to be the first documentary on Mardi Gras in Hi Def. We  went
to crayfish boils, we caught beads, rode on floats, went to the purple only
party, documented  the Zulu krewe  get ready for their parade.
We had a blast. My son Sami went as a production assistant and I will
never forget his face when he came face to face with a group clad only
in Mardi Gras beads, very creative!!!

I drift. I think we all agreed on jambalaya. It's the perfect dish for a gloomy
day. Here's how I do it.

Jambalaya

1 large  can crushed tomatoes
1 can beef broth
 1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onions
 1 chopped green pepper
1 chopped rotisserie chicken
1 package andouille sausage
Shrimp (10 med to large)
salt/pepper
Louisiana hot sauce
Tomato sauce-small can 
 
Cooked Rice
 
In a large pan saute celery, onions, green
peppers in Olive oil  until limp. Chop andouille sausage into
thin slices and add to vegetables. Cook until sweating.
Add can of broth and crushed tomatoes. Add
chicken and a liberal dose of Louisiana hot sauce.
 If the mixture looks thick add a can of tomato sauce.
Toss in shrimp
 
At the last minute add cooked rice and sliced green onions
So yummy!!!!! Serve with French bread and salad

No comments:

Post a Comment